- 3 pounds (approx.) small pickling cucumbers, not peeled, well scrubbed
- 3 dill stalks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 Tbsp long clove
- 5 each star anise
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorn whole
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 5 quarts water
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup salt
- For half-sour dill pickles, pack cucumbers into a sterilized 6-quart glass jar. Add dill stalks, garlic cloves.
- Add all the spices except turmeric.
- Mix water, vinegar, salt, and tumeric. Pour over cucumbers.
- Leave at room temperature 1 day; then refrigerate. For sour dills, leave at room temperature 3-4 days; then refrigerate to keep crisp.